Top 10 Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
I’ve officially decided to throw my hat into this SUPER popular meme. I mean, it’s list related – of course I’m going to do it!
Confession time: I love being scared. I am also the world’s biggest scaredy-cat. I love going to haunted houses around Halloween. I come out of the shaking and crying and knowing I probably won’t sleep that night – and I love every minute of it. I didn’t think I would be able to come up with 10 books that scared me…but I did (and I only cheated on one!).
Let’s break it down (in no particular order):
- Inferno – Dan Brown. I’m actually reading this right now, even though I bought it right after it came out, started it right away and ran screaming away from it. Why? Well, hypochondriacs and bubonic plague do not mix.
- In the Name of the Star – Maureen Johnson. I read this book a while and I vividly remember the moment this book went from murder mystery to a ghost story and the cold streak that ran up my spine in the middle of a sunny summer day.
- The Sign of Seven Trilogy – Nora Roberts. I know Nora Roberts and scary is not something that you normally hear, but the creepy child demon villain from this trilogy made me sleep with the lights on. More than once.
- The Call – Peadar O’Guilin. I literally just read this one and while it was pretty creepy, the sadistic vengeful fairies and the horrid things that they do to people rank pretty high on the nightmare fuel list for me.
- The Cask of Amontillado – Edgar Allen Poe. Yeahhhhh, getting sealed in a tight space is not my idea of a way to go. I don’t care if there’s wine in there or not.
- The Diviners annnnd….
- Lair of Dream both by Libba Bray. Not only is this my favorite on-going series and high on my list of obsessions for a lot of reasons, the creep-factor is DEF one of them. Evil, murdering ghosts. Killer dreams. An Evil demon-ish man that hangs out in cornfields and sends shivers down my spine every time he’s mentioned. And I will admit to having hard time sleeping while reading the second book.
- Raven’s Point – Melinda Metz. I read this one way back in Junior High and while I don’t remember much about it – other than it was kind of meh overall- was a scene involving a the whole town being posessed or something and a character’s mother having her face clawed off or something. I remember being completely freaked out and not sleeping.
- Illuminae – Amy Kaufman and Jay Kristoff. Creepy omniscient computers and freaky angry zombie disease. It terrified me and I want the sequel ASAP.
- The Haunting of Hill House – Shirley Jackson. I’m kind of cheating on this one because I am never going to read this book. EVER. I saw the movie adaptation of this – old one, not the newer one with Catherine Zeta-Jones – and it scared the hell out of me and I WILL NOT go near anything to do with this story. I don’t even know if it’s a decent adaptation. I’m not going to find out and I am perfectly okay with that.
What books have you read that scared the snot out of you?