Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
2016 has been a crazy reading year for me; I started this blog, had a really hard time getting into a reading mood for most of the year and completely failed my Goodreads challenge (but why should that be any different?). But I did read some really great books this year and I’ve got them for you here!
Let’s break it down:
- The Nightingale – Kristen Hannah. THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS I HAVE READ EVER I AM DEAD SERIOUS NO I WILL NOT STOP SHOUTING. The hype is so real. It completely broke my soul and I loved every damn second of it. No, seriously, I cried for three hours. I give it a 10 out of five stars. Dead serious.
- Truthwitch – Susan Dennard. Easily one of the best series starts I’ve read in a while. It’s fun and adventurous and featured a host of great characters, especially Safi and Iseult, our two badass heroines. Their friendship is the relationship at the center of the story – which is super refreshing. The next book is coming out in two weeks and I NEED IT NOWWWWWWWW.
- Iron Cast – Destiny Soria. Speaking of books where a female friendship is the focus of the novel, here’s another one that knocked my socks off. The combination of the characters and inventive magic system literally made my life and I will recommend this to anyone looking for an inventive fantasy to pick up next. Also, Destiny, WRITE MORE BOOKS PLEASE (any book you want, but if you want to revisit the Iron Cast world, I will NEVER complain!)
- The Obsession – Nora Roberts. One – Naomi was an AWESOME lead, and she’s my all-time fave NR heroine. There was a suspenseful and twisty mystery with a culprit I DID NOT see coming. There was a great deal of steamy but cute and sweet romance. Its everything I know and love about Nora Roberts, but cranked up to 11. This was EASY one of the best books of the year for me. I literally could pick it up right now. Actually I might. I’m not even kidding.
- Illuminae – Amy Kaufman and Jay Kristoff. Literally kept me on the sci-fi kick the Lunar Chronicles started and HOLY MOLY THIS BOOK WAS FANTASTIC. Great characters, terrifying disease ridden space ship, weird-ass sentient computer that – not gonna lie – a kind of loved….but he was creepy as hell. Like seriously.
- Salt to the Sea – Ruta Septeys. Historical fiction story about a little-known event in history. Told many different sides to World War II. More than a little harrowing and heartwrenching. The end puts you through a wringer.
- The Dresden Files – Jim Butcher. At least books 1-4, anyway. Exciting and more often than not hilarious – but they have a great deal of heart. It took literally one book for me to love all the characters and a second to cement that love. Also, if you, like me, haven’t read this series yet, I HIGHLY recommend the audiobooks. James Marsters is Harry to me now.
- This Is Our Story -Ashley Elston. A+ YA Mystery. Flew through this and loved every second of it. Super twisty and has a really great leading lady. If you’re looking for a mystery – READ THIS.
- The Firebird Trilogy – Claudia Gray. I semi-marathoned this series. It’s a great alternative to the rash of time travel books that seem oh-so-popular these days. It’s addicting and has a main trio of characters that I got more than a little attached to
- Heartless – Marissa Meyer. As of writing this, I haven’t finished the book yet, but I know that it’s going to be on this list. It’s a complete change of pace from what I have come to expect from Marissa Meyer – and I liked that it was, and it made me excited to read more from one of my favorite authors in the future.
That’s it for me! What were your favorite books of the year?