Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by the ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish.
I’m going rogue again.
This week’s topic was all about romance tropes and was having a hard-time putting a list together so I just threw together a list of my favorite couples – which was hard in and of itself because lower ones change from time to time.
Let’s break it down:
- Nina and Benny – In The Heights. If you want to know why I love these two, go here, listen to this song. UGH I LOVE IT. Also, the in-show reaction to their relationship is kind of perfect: “She was my babysitter first!”
- Connor and Oliver (aka “Coliver” – How To Get Away With Murder. I am super behind on this show but these two make my heart hurt in the best way possible.
- Harry Dresden and Karin Murphy – The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. I know I’m a new fan but OH MY GOD I WANT THE THING. I don’t even know if the thing is going to happen but I want it to oh so badly. Does the thing happen? Don’t actually tell me but, does it?
- Rapunzel and Flynn Rider – Tangled. I know. I know. I have Disney characters on here and honestly I don’t care. These two sent me flying back into uncontrollable flailing fangirl mode in my sophomore year of college and I never looked back. AND THEY’RE COMING TO TV AND I CAN’T CONTROL MY FEELS.
- Han and Leia – Star Wars. My OTP before I knew what an OTP was. I can’t talk about them a lot right now because I get emotional for obvious reasons.
- Memphis and Theta – The Diviners by Libba Bray. I didn’t realize how much I love these two until I was pulling this list together and I kept putting them higher and higher and suddenly they were in the top five. The aspiring Harlem poet and the showgirl from the Ziegfeld Follies. It’s all very 1920s and so very, very sweet. Given some plot-related potential hazards (their races, the crazy supernatural goings-on, possibly crazy exes, an author I no longer trust with the lives of fictional characters), I am SUPER CONCERNED for their wellbeing and just want them to be happy and, preferably, together.
- Jamie and Claire – Outlander. This is my sexy couple. I mean, not that the rest of them aren’t, but have you seen that show or read those books? HECK YES. But these two also put me through an emotional wringer (see also end of the second book/season and my emotional breakdown in front of my entire family). I kind of idolize Claire and wish I could be more like her – a What Would Clare Beauchamp Randall Fraser Do? kind of thing. And then there’s Jamie….
- Cress and Thorne – The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. Don’t get me wrong, I adore all the couples from the Lunar Chronicles but these two are something special. Cress and Thorne are my favorite characters individually, so naturally they’re my favorite couple. I identify a lot with Cress – she’s kind of the ultimate hacker fangirl – and I loved watching the oh-so-confident Captain Carswell Thorne get thrown for a loop by her. I would honestly read an entire series about these two and never get bored.
- Ron and Hermione – Harry Potter by J.K Rowling. My first real fandom and my first real ship. I mean it. I wrote awful fan fiction and got verbally attacked on fan message boards and everything. This is another couple where I identify with one half of the couple – Hermione – and low-key want to marry the other half.
- Emma Swan and Killian Jones (aka “Captain Swan”) – Once Upon A Time. I like to say these two ruined my life in the best way possible and honestly it’s true. I have never been this invested in a fictional relationship and I don’t know that I ever will be again. These two have come so far – I mean she held him at knifepoint and tied him to a tree within five minutes of meetings him the first time, some that has kind of defined what it means to be a “me couple” – and I honestly thought they were my first ever non-canon ship (I was convinced she was going to end up with her child’s father), but they’ve been to LITERAL HELL and back, they moved in together and they’re Confirmed True Love and King Of The Gods Approved. You don’t get much better than that.
As an honorable mention, I would like to give a shout out to all of the couple on Grey’s Anatomy over the years, none of whom I speak of without crying and none of whom are still together because Shonda is cruel mistress.
That’s it for me this time. What are some of your favorite fictional couples?